ASD hypoallergenic multiple vitamin/mineral supplement is formulated for the special nutritional needs of children with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). It is also appropriate for other individuals with similar metabolic imbalances related to inadequate dietary amounts of vitamin and minerals. Nutritional deficiencies are exceedingly common in ASD. Low levels of vitamin A, thiamine (B1), niacin (B3), pantothenic acid (B5), biotin, calcium, magnesium, selenium, and zinc have been reported in children on the autism spectrum compared to children without ASD. Altered intestinal permeability, deficient enzyme activity, and hyperacidity of the intestinal lumen can all interfere with the absorption and transport of nutrients and contribute to the common vitamin and mineral deficiencies documented in children with ASD. Supplementation with vitamins and minerals is often used to help correct nutritional deficits common in ASD. The amounts as well as forms of each nutrient in this product have been selected to help ensure a high degree of nutrient bioavailability, excellent tolerance, and documented safety during long-term, daily use. Iron and copper, often contraindicated in ASD, are excluded and herbal ingredients are also avoided to provide maximum tolerance. This formula complies with Gluten-Free/Casein-Free (GFCF) diets. Some of the key features of this product include:
• Essential vitamins, minerals, and trace elements to help optimize nutrient status: The amounts and ratios of the 28 nutrients in this product can help complement dietary intake and ensure that daily micronutrient needs are met. To help address the special needs of children with ASD, this product offers higher potencies for certain nutrients, enhanced antioxidant protection, broader trace element nutrition, and augmented B-vitamin support compared to most other children’s multivitamins.
• Well-utilized nutrient forms: Nutrient “families” are used to provide a wider range of nutritional activity. For example, natural mixed carotenoids and vitamin E tocopherols are included to provide diverse antioxidant benefit. Concentrated citrus bioflavonoids are also added to help complement vitamin C activity.
• Biologically active forms of folate, B12, and B6: Children on the autism spectrum have been shown to have a variety of metabolic abnormalities that include impaired methylation and transsulfuration biochemistry. Significant amounts of active forms of folate (Metafolin®** L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate) and vitamin B12 (methylcobalamin) are used as they are already fully “active” and ready for use by the body. Together these two vitamins can assist proper methylation and help maintain normal homocysteine metabolism. The active coenzyme form of vitamin B6 (known as P-5-P), is also included to support transsulfuration pathways.
• Bioavailable minerals and trace elements: Many common forms of minerals used in supplements are not efficiently absorbed. To address this concern, this product contains low molecular weight mineral compounds and other forms that are easily and comfortably digested.
• Hypoallergenic ingredients: This dietary supplement is free of common allergens: milk/casein, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat/gluten, yeast, and soybeans. Contains no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. This product is intended to provide a broad-spectrum of nutritionally supportive amounts of essential nutrients for daily use and health maintenance in children with ASD or other neurodevelopmental conditions. Suggested Use: Adults or children 4 or more years of age: 6 capsules daily with food. Children less than 4 years of age: As directed by a healthcare practitioner. Capsules may be opened and nutrients mixed in food or beverage. This product was made in a GMP and ISO 9001:2008 registered facility
Here is a recent testimonial from a parent:
"My son has Autism and ADHD. We started him on the ASD vitamins in mid February after a long period of bad behavior. I couldn't even get him to school half of the time and if I did get him there, on most days I was called to come and get him early because of horrible meltdowns. In almost 3 months, he has done a complete turn around. He's only missed 1 day of school and that was because he had a stomach bug. He is learning to read, handwriting, and numbers. He wasn't doing any of this before. Before we started him on these, it was even hard to take him to the grocery store because he just became overstimulated. I actually noticed a big change in him 3 days after he started them. He's always been an extremely amazing, smart, and very loving child but now he's just able to deal with things so much better. I just wanted to kind of tell you our success story. I know that Autism is unpredictable but I really do feel that these vitamins are the reason that our son is doing so well. I want to say thank you for a wonderful product that has allowed us to help our son." -K.H.
Serving Size 6 Capsules
Servings Per Container 30
Amount Per 6 Capsules % Daily Value
Vitamin A (64% (3,500 I.U.) as 5,500 I.U. 110% natural carotenes (alpha, beta, beta-cryptoxanthin, zeaxanthin, and lutein) from D. salina and 36% (2,000 I.U.) as vitamin A palmitate)
Vitamin C (as L-ascorbic acid USP) 500 mg 833%
Vitamin D3 (as cholecalciferol) 1,000 I.U. 250%
Vitamin E (as d-alpha tocopheryl 150 I.U. 500% succinate plus natural mixed tocopherols d-alpha, d-beta, d-delta, d-gamma) from soy
Vitamin K1 (as phytonadione) 60 mcg 75%
Thiamine (as thiamine mononitrate) 25 mg 1667%
Riboflavin (as riboflavin USP) 15 mg 882%
Niacin (67% as niacinamide and 33% as niacin USP) 60 mg 300%
Vitamin B6 (67% as pyridoxine hydrochloride and 33% as pyridoxal 5’-phosphate)15 mg 750%
Folate (as Metafolin®** L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate) 400 mcg 100%
Vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamin) 50 mcg 833%
Biotin USP 300 mcg 100%
Pantothenic Acid (as d-calcium pantothenate USP) 50 mg 500%
Calcium (as calcium citrate-malate) 100 mg 10%
Iodine (from kelp) 150 mcg 100%
Magnesium (as TRAACS® magnesium bisglycinate chelate magnesium oxide***) 100 mcg 25%
Zinc (as zinc bisglycinate chelate***) 15 mg 100%
Selenium (as selenium amino acid complex) 200 mcg 286%
Manganese (as manganese bisglycinate chelate***) 2 mg 100%
Chromium (as chromium nicotinate glycinate chelate***) 150 mcg 125%
Molybdenum (as molybdenum glycinate chelate***) 100 mcg 133%
Potassium (as potassium chloride) 99 mg 3%
Boron (as boron amino acid complex) 2 mg *
Vanadium (as bisglycinato oxovanadium) 50 mcg *
Choline (as choline bitartrate) 75 mg *
Inositol 25 mg *
Citrus Bioflavonoids (85 mg as citrus bioflavonoid complex, min. 50% bioflavonoids, and 15 mg as hesperidin methylchalcone) 100 mg *
* daily value not established
Other ingredients: Vegetarian capsule (hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, water), cellulose, and L-leucine.
**Metafolin® is a registered trademark of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.